Jennifer Larkin Kneeland
Senior Partner | McLean, VA
Jennifer Larkin Kneeland is the Chair of Watt Tieder’s Creditors’ Rights, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Practice. She focuses her practice on business restructuring, workouts, bankruptcy and creditors’ rights. Jennifer devotes the majority of her practice to representing financial institutions, real estate investment trusts, sureties, landlords and other creditor-parties who must protect their rights in connection with construction, real estate related loans and other types of obligations that are either in default or at risk of default. She has handled complex chapter 11 cases and out-of-court workouts involving a variety of industries, including real estate, education, telecommunications, retail, automotive, hospitality and not-for-profit companies.
Jennifer is a Past President of the Bankruptcy Bar Association for the District of Maryland. The Maryland Bankruptcy Bar Association is the premier bar association for attorneys who practice bankruptcy law in the State of Maryland. Jennifer has been a leader in the Maryland Bankruptcy Bar Association for over twenty years, having been elected to various offices such as Secretary; Treasurer; Greenbelt, Maryland Chapter Chair; and an At-large member of the Maryland Bankruptcy Bar Association’s Board of Directors.
Jennifer is an honorary member of the Board of Directors of the Olney Theatre Center for the Arts, Inc. in Olney, Maryland, having previously served as Board President from 2014-2017. Olney Theater is a not-for-profit corporation dedicated to theatre and the performing arts. Jennifer restructured Olney Theatre’s financial affairs on a pro bono basis, saving it from bankruptcy.
- Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy Law – 2013-2022
- Maryland Super Lawyers – 2014-2017
- Virginia Super Lawyers – 2017-2021
- Washingtonian Magazine, List of the Washington Area’s Best Lawyers, Reorganization and Creditors’ Rights, 2013, 2015; 2017; 2018-2020
- The Daily Record, State of Maryland’s Leading Women, 2011
- Walter Chandler American Inn of Court
- Maryland Bankruptcy Bar Association
- Virginia Bankruptcy Bar Association
- Author: Your company received a PPP loan – what do you spend the money on and how to obtain loan forgiveness? May, 2020.
- Panelist: “Health Check on the Contractor – what sureties need to know”. April, 2020.
- Panelist and Author of course materials: Discharges in Bankruptcy, presented by Walter Chandler American Inn of Court, February, 2020.
- Moderator, “Bankruptcy Judge’s Roundtable in Business Bankruptcy Cases,” presented by Bankruptcy Bar Association for the District of Maryland, 22nd Annual Spring Break Weekend, May 5, 2018.
- Panelist, “From the Surety’s Perspective: When a Contractor Hits the Zone of Insolvency or Files for Bankruptcy,” presented by the Northern Virginia Bankruptcy Bar Association, April 10, 2018.
- Panelist: Is Bankruptcy A Viable Alternative for High Income or Asset Rich Individuals?, Advanced Bankruptcy Institute presented by the Maryland State Bar Association, December 2016.
- Author: Attorney Malpractice Claim Stemming From Services Provided in a Bankruptcy Case “Arises In” a Case Under Title 11 of the U.S. Code, and Therefore, U.S. District Court Has Subject Matter Jurisdiction Over the Claim, American Bankruptcy Institute Ethics and Professional Compensation Committee Newsletter, Vol. 14, No. 4 (November 2016).
- Author: Can This Possibly Be Ethical or Permissible?, American Bankruptcy Institute Ethics and Professional Compensation Committee Newsletter, Vol. 14, No. 3 (August 2016).
- Panelist: The Automatic Stay and Intellectual Property Litigation Issues, presented by Walter Chandler American Inn of Court, March 2016.
- Panelist: Changes to the Official Bankruptcy Forms, Attorney Seminar sponsored by the Maryland State Bar Association’s consumer Bankruptcy Section, the Bankruptcy Bar Association for the District of Maryland and the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Maryland, November 2015.
- Panelist: Chapter 11 Governance: Advising the Closely-Held Business, Advanced Bankruptcy Institute presented by the Maryland State Bar Association, March 2015.
- Speaker: Lender Liability, Real Estate Foreclosure: A Step-by-Step Workshop, presented by the National Business Institute, February 2013.
- Author: Seeking a Substantial Contribution Claim? Know the Applicable Standard and Introduce Evidence, American Bankruptcy Institute Ethics and Professional Compensation Committee Newsletter, Vol. 11, No. 1 (January 2013).
- Speaker: Selected Ethics and Legal Issues in Dealing with Pro Se Parties in Bankruptcy Courts, presented by Walter Chandler American Inn of Court, Panelist, February 2012.
- Author: Does Civility Temper Zealous Legal Advocacy? To Better Serve Clients and the Profession, Concepts Can (and Should) Co-Exist, American Bankruptcy Institute Ethics and Professional Compensation Committee Newsletter, Vol. 9 No. 3 (August 2011).
Areas of Practice
- Villanova University School of Law, J.D., cum laude
- University of Virginia, B.A.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Maryland
- U.S District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Maryland
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court District of Columbia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Virginia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Virginia