Sara M. Bour
Associate | Chicago, IL
Sara Bour is an associate attorney in the Chicago, Illinois office of Watt, Tieder, Hoffar & Fitzgerald, LLP. Sara’s practice focuses on a range of complex litigation and transactional matters, with her core practice centering on commercial, construction, suretyship and insurance disputes. This includes pre-litigation investigation and case analysis, formal litigation including discovery, drafting pleadings, settlement negotiations and case evaluation, mediation, arbitration, motion practice, conducting and defending depositions, and trial. Sara is experienced in representing owners, general contractors, subcontractors, sureties and the like in both the public and private context.
Prior to joining the firm, Sara practiced family law, where she focused primarily on litigation, trial work, negotiations and alternative dispute resolution. She successfully represented clients both inside and outside of the courtroom.
CALI Excellence for the Future Award for Family Law Legal Drafting
- American Bar Association
- Member of the Fidelity and Surety Law Committee of the Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section (TIPS)
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- Chicago Building Congress (CBC)
- Co-Author: “Delegated Design and the Black Hole of the Inartfully Drafted Contract,” Fidelity & Surety Law Newsletter, Fall 2019.
- Co-Speaker: “Performing Surety – Active Jobs and Completion Agreements,” Covid-19: Considerations for Surety Professionals Webinar (April 2020)
- Co-Author: “Federal Construction Contracts vs. COVID-19: An ‘Excused’ Delay?,” The Newsletter of Watt, Tieder, Hoffar & Fitzgerald, L.L.P., April 2020.
- Author: “Prefab and Modular Construction-Fitting The Contract Into the Process,” The Newsletter of Watt, Tieder, Hoffar & Fitzgerald, L.L.P., Spring 2020.
- Co-Author: “Navigating Lost Productivity Claims,” The Newsletter of Watt, Tieder, Hoffar & Fitzgerald, L.L.P., Spring 2020.
- Co-Speaker: “Buy America[n] Act, Domestic Preferences for Construction Materials in Public Projects,” Midwest Surety and Construction Claims Conference (July 2019)
- Speaker: “Cybersecurity and Construction: The Threat of the Cyber Era,” Watt, Tieder, Hoffar & Fitzgerald, L.L.P. Chicago Office ‘Lunch and Learn’ (May 2019)
- Speaker: “Business Records and Retention Policies: Best Practices,” Watt, Tieder, Hoffar & Fitzgerald, L.L.P. Chicago Office ‘Lunch and Learn’ (October 2019)
- Speaker: “Delegated Design: Methods for Successful Implementation,” Watt, Tieder, Hoffar & Fitzgerald, L.L.P. Chicago Office ‘Lunch and Learn’ (March 2019)
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D., 2015
- University of Illinois at Chicago, Political Science, B.A., 2012
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Illinois