Partner | Boston, MA
Paula-Lee Chambers is an experienced trial attorney focusing her litigation practice in all aspects of surety law including probate bonds, fidelity, and insurance coverage disputes. She has considerable experience handling these types of matters as a private practitioner and as a bond claims attorney inside an insurance company and she practices in State and Federal Court including the United States Bankruptcy Court for the states of Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont.
Paula-Lee also has a strong background in the representation of mortgage servicers, lenders, their agents, vendors, and trustees of securitized mortgage trusts in matters relating to lending, mortgage fraud, and violations of consumer protection statutes.
Prior to entering private practice, Paula-Lee spent more than 22 years in house with insurance companies handling claims as a Bond Claims Attorney or in various other supervisory positions. As a Bond Claims Attorney for Hanover Insurance Company, she specialized in surety and fidelity law, directors and officers liability, employment practices liability and fiduciary responsibility insurance. In her other roles at Hanover, she specialized in commercial and personal property coverages and surety and fidelity claims. At Metropolitan Property and Casualty Company, Paula-Lee handled automobile and homeowners claims.
She holds the insurance designations of Associate in Claims (AIC), and Property Claim Law Associate (PCLA).
- Successfully represented a contractor in pursuing recovery on a construction project for a Regional Transit Authority including a counterclaim for damages by the Authority for $12M dollars. After a month long arbitration, a 29 page award was issued successfully defeated the Authority’s counterclaim.
- Defended a $1.2 million probate bond case prior to trial with a successful mediation outcome.
- Successfully arbitrated a multi-million dollar Senior Living Center on behalf of the surety with return of the remaining contract funds to the surety and a no damage award to the owner.
- Representation of loan servicers throughout New England in the State and Federal Courts with favorable mediation outcomes for all parties involved.
- American Bar Association, TIPS Practice Section, Member, 2002-Present
- Fidelity & Surety Law Committee
- Vice Chair Fidelity and Surety Law Committee (2014-2018)
- Co-Chair of the CLE Webinars Subcommittee (2014-2017)
- Co-Chair of the FSLC Women’s Involvement Subcommittee (2009- 2013)
- Fidelity & Surety Law Committee
- Fidelity Law Association, Member
- Surety Claims Association, Member
- National Bond Claims, Member
- New Hampshire Bar Association, Member
- Vermont Bar Association, Member
- Mortgage Bankers Association 2017 to present
Paula-Lee has spoken on both fidelity and surety matters and insurance coverage matters for the American Bar Association, the Massachusetts Association of Insurance Women and the Massachusetts International Arson and Theft Investigations, among others. Her presentations include:
- “Ethical Considerations in Handling Employee Dishonesty Claims,” ABA TIPS Fidelity & Surety Law Committee Fall Meeting, Boston, Massachusetts, November 2017
- “Mediation and Ethical Communications,” ASA TIPS Fidelity & Surety Law Committee Midwinter Meeting, New York, New York, January 2016
- “Ethical Issues for Fidelity and Surety Attorneys Associated with Attorney Communications,” ASA TIPS Fidelity & Surety Law Committee, Webinar, December 2014
- “Insurance and Bonding,” ABA Forum on the Construction Industry’s Seminar Fundamentals of Construction Law: Learn the Basics from the Pros, Boston, Massachusetts, November 2009
- “Material Alteration of the Bonded Contract- Can the Surety be Discharged?,” National Bond Claims Association Seminar, Scottsdale, Arizona, October 2007
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Mortgage Servicing
- Lender Litigation
- Massachusetts School of Law, J.D., 1994
- Massachusetts School of Law, Law Review
- Merrimack College, B.A., 1979
- New Hampshire
- U.S. Court of for the District of Maine
- U.S. Court of for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire
- U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit