Matthew D. Baker
Associate | McLean, VA
Matt Baker is an associate in Watt Tieder’s McLean, Virginia office concentrating his practice in the areas of construction, government contracts, surety, and commercial litigation. Matt is an experienced litigator who has successfully resolved matters for his clients through negotiation, alternative dispute resolution, and trial.
Matt represents the full spectrum of stakeholders in the construction industry including owners, architects, engineers, general contractors, subcontractors, material suppliers, and sureties. Matt has assisted clients with a variety of matters including breach of contract claims, payment bond claims, mechanic’s liens, professional liability claims, and real property and commercial disputes.
Building on his experience helping clients navigate litigation, Matt also advises clients on the drafting / negotiation of contracts, risk management, handling claims, and investigating accidents / occurrences.
Virginia State Bar
- Construction Law and Public Contracts Section
- Co-Author, “‘Siri Told Me So’: Expert Witness Testimony at the Dawning of the Age of Artificial Intelligence,” (forthcoming 2020)
- Author, “Leaning-In: Highlights of Virginia’s Mechanic’s Lien Law,” Building Solutions (Winter 2020).
- Co-Author, “Preserving Concurrent Delay As A Defense Against The Assessment of Liquidated Damages,” 30th Annual Northeast Surety and Fidelity Claims Conference (2019).
- Co-Author, “Damages Without A Cause: Liquidated Damages Are A Penalty When Owners Recover Damages for Their Own Delay,” (2019).
- Co-Author, “Trading On Uncertainty: Legal Strategies for Addressing Tariff-Driven Material Cost Escalation,” Building Solutions (Summer 2018).
- Co-Presenter, “’Concurrent Events’ and Other Scheduling Issues in the News,” ARTBA 12th Annual Law & Regulatory Forum (2020).
- Co-Presenter, “COVID-19: Evaluating Your Contractual Rights and Minimizing Project Risk,” ARTBA (2020).
- Co-Presenter, “Damages Without A Cause: Liquidated Damages Are A Penalty When Owners Recover Damages for Their Own Delay,” AACE International Conference (2019).
- Co-Presenter, “Construction Documentation: Successfully Managing Risk and Preserving Claims,” ARTBA 11th Annual Law & Regulatory Forum (2019).
- SuperLawyers, Rising Stars (VA & DC), 2016-2020
Areas of Practice
- Government Contracts
- Commercial Litigation
- Washington & Lee University School of Law, J.D., 2012
- Editor-In-Chief, Journal of Energy, Climate, and the Environment
- Moot Court Executive Board
- Bob Jones University, B.S. Accounting summa cum laude, 2008/B.A. History magna cum laude, 2009
- Law Clerk for the Honorable Victor V. Ludwig and Humes J. Franklin, Jr., Virginia 25th Judicial Circuit (2012 – 2013)
- District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court for the Western District of Virginia
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States Bankruptcy Court for the Western District of Virginia