Mariela M. Malfeld
Partner | Miami, FL
Mariela Malfeld is a Florida Bar Board Certified Construction Lawyer in Watt Tieder’s Miami office. Board certification is The Florida Bar’s “Legal Expert” status. Her expertise and experience includes all aspects of complex dispute resolution and litigation within the construction industry. Mariela represents and has served as counsel during the procurement, negotiation, implementation, administration and post-completion phases of projects, in both the public and private sector, including internationally.
Mariela has significant litigation experience in federal and state courts and in alternative dispute resolution proceedings, including high-stake, multi-party claims. Presently, she is litigating multi-million dollar claims in the Complex Business Litigation Division of Miami-Dade County’s Circuit Court and regularly mediates multi-million dollar construction claims for clients. Mariela’s clients include contractors, sureties, and specialty contractors in a broad array of construction matters. Her broad project experience includes construction defect, project delay claims, and bond claims relating to luxury condominiums, educational facilities, hospitals, commercial high-rises and many other heavy construction and general building projects.
Prior to joining Watt, Tieder, Hoffar & Fitzgerald in 2012, Mariela’s practice focused on construction defect litigation, insurance litigation, including defense of catastrophic injury and death cases, coverage, bad faith, excess, umbrella, reinsurance claims, and premises liability. She regularly relies upon her insurance coverage experience to assist her construction clients in obtaining recovery or defense obligations from their insurance companies. Mariela is admitted to practice in Florida and the District of Columbia.
- Best Lawyers in America, Construction Litigation, 2022
- Super Lawyers 2019-2022
- Nominated to Super Lawyers as Rising Star – 2016-2018
- Authored “Documenting With Drones: Practical Implications of Multiple Tiers of Regulation” – Summer 2017 edition of Action Line.
- Co-authored “Introduction to Dispute Resolution Under the FIDIC (Fédération Internationale Des Ingénieurs-Conseils) Conditions of Contract” – Fall 2014 edition of the International Law Quarterly.
- Co-authored “Section 8(a) Mentor/Protégé Relationships” – October 2012 edition of Surety and Fidelity Claims Institute Newsletter.
- Special Edition Editor for the International Law Quarterly Fall 2014 publication.
- 2017 Moderator for iLaw Panel titled “International Construction Arbitration: Trends and Best Practices”.
- 2016-2017 Chair of the International Law Committee of the International Law Section of the Florida Bar.
- 2016 Florida Bar RPPTL Construction Law Committee: “Action Line” Editor and Legislative Subcommittee.
- 2016 Chair of the International Construction Committee of the International Law Section of the Florida Bar.
- 2015-2016 Member of Legislative Committee of the International Law Section of the Florida Bar.
- 2014 Steering Committee Chair – Pre-Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot.
- 2013 Author / Researcher of ad hoc committee responsible for the creation of the International Commercial Arbitration subsection of the Complex Business Litigation Division of the 11th Judicial Circuit in and for Miami-Dade County, Florida.
- 2011-2013 Steering Committee – Pre-Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot.
Areas of Practice
- University of Florida College of Law, J.D., 2007
- University of Miami, B.A., 2004
- District of Columbia
- 11th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Southern District Bankruptcy Court
- Southern US District Court of Florida
- Middle US District Court of Florida
- Northern US District Court of Florida