Lauren E. Rankins
Associate | Chicago, IL
Lauren E. Rankins is an associate in Watt Tieder’s Chicago office. She first joined the firm in 2013 as a law clerk. She then received her J.D., cum laude, from The John Marshall Law School in 2014. During law school, she was a Staff Editor for The John Marshall Law Review and Presiding Barrister for the Trial Advocacy & Dispute Resolution Honors Council. She was also recognized as part of the Dean’s List, a winner of the Dean Fred F. Herzog Moot Court Competition and a frequent competitor on a number of Mock Trial and Alternative Dispute Resolution competition teams. Prior to law school, Lauren attended The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater where she was a four-year varsity intercollegiate athlete. Lauren received many awards for her participation in intercollegiate athletics and was the proud recipient of the Marty VanSteenderen Sportswoman of the Year Award.
Lauren is admitted to practice in Illinois and multiple federal district courts. She focuses her national practice in the areas of construction and surety law, providing a full range of transactional and litigation services. Lauren represents owners, general contractors, construction managers, subcontractors and material suppliers in a variety of matters involving contract drafting, contract negotiation, bid protests, breach of contract claims, claims for extras, defective design, delay, disruption, acceleration and claims involving mechanic’s liens. Lauren represents sureties in matters involving payment and performance bond claims on private and public projects, drafting and negotiation of takeover and tender agreements, and collateral and indemnity disputes.
Lauren serves as the Co-Chair for the Midwest Surety & Construction Claims Conference. She is also an editor for the American Bar Association Fidelity & Surety Law Committee Newsletter. She is also an Emerging Leader for Construction Financial Management Association.
- American Bar Association
- Chicago Building Congress (CBC)
- Construction Financial Management Association (CFMA)
- Panelist: “Risk of Construction Technology Implementation: From Cost to Liability”, USMCA’s Construction Technology and Virtual Design Conference, April 2019.
- Co-Author: Strict Interpretation of Contract, Watt Tieder, Hoffar & Fitzgerald’s Fifty State Survey of Key Issues Related to Construction & Engineering Contracts, 2015 – 2018.
- Co-Author: “Payment Bond Defenses: To Pay, or Not to Pay, That is the Question,” National Association of Surety Bond Producers’ Surety Bond Quarterly, April, 2018.
- Co-Speaker: “Contract Dispute Resolution for Federal Projects,” November, 2018.
- Speaker: “Understanding Ethical Limitations During Settlement Negotiation,” Midwest Surety Conference & Construction Claims Conference, July, 2018.
- Speaker: “Mechanics Lien Bond Claims”, Liberty Commercial Claims Conference, November, 2017.
- Co-Speaker: “Construction Documentation: Successfully Managing Risk and Preserving Claims,” Construction Financial Management Association Midwest Regional Conference, September, 2017.
- Speaker: “Deposition Preparation of Claim(s) Person,” Midwest Surety Conference & Construction Claims Conference, July, 2016.
- Co-Speaker: “Payment Bond Defenses,” Midwest Surety Conference & Construction Claims Conference, July, 2017.
- Co-Speaker: “Ethics Primer – Federal Contracts, False Claims Act, and Surety Concerns,” Midwest Surety Conference & Construction Claims Conference, July 2015.
- Speaker: “Motor Vehicle and Public Adjuster Bonds,” Liberty Commercial Claims Conference, October, 2015.
- Co-Author: Case Note: When a Subdivision Bond Is More Than Just A Subdivision Bond—The Illinois Supreme Court’s Recent Decision in Lake County Grading Co., LLC v. Village of Antioch, The Newsletter of Watt, Tieder, Hoffar & Fitzgerald, L.L.P., Spring (2015).’
- Co-Speaker: “The Federal Government and the Performing Surety,” March, 2015.
- Co-Author: Illinois Construction Law Book, 2015.
Areas of Practice
- The John Marshall Law School, J.D. 2014, cum laude
- Staff Editor, The John Marshall Law Review
- Dean’s List
- Presiding Barrister, Trial Advocacy & Dispute Resolution Honors Council
- The University of Wisconsin Whitewater, 2011
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Illinois Central District
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan