Jonathan R. Wright
Partner | McLean, VA
Jonathan represents owners, prime contractors, and subcontractors, and sureties on construction projects throughout the nation, and particularly, in the mid-Atlantic region. His experience includes – a wide-range of construction projects such as data centers, buildings, waste water treatment plants, highways, roads, bridges, dredging projects, schools, and municipal water pumping stations.
Jonathan has successfully guided his clients through challenging legal issues involving default terminations, design defects, payment disputes, indemnification, differing site conditions, delay claims, and inefficiency / lost productivity claims. In addition to his court admissions, Jonathan has experience in various types of dispute resolution including arbitration, mediation, negotiation, and claim preparation.
- Board of Governors, Virginia State Bar Construction and Public Contracts Section
- General Counsel, National Utility Contractors Association of the District of Columbia
- Virginia Bar Association
- Maryland Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Speaker, Virginia State Bar Construction and Public Contracts Section: “Federal Government Contracting During COVID-19”, September 16, 2020.
- Speaker, Construction Management Association of America: “Standardizing Visual Construction Progress Documentation”, September 24, 2019.
- Speaker, Architectural Precast Association: “Increasing Profits by Recognizing Legal Risks or How to Avoid Hiring a Lawyer Unless Absolutely Necessary”, September 23, 2018.
- Author, Watt, Tieder, Hoffar & Fitzgerald Newsletter, “New Maryland Law Exposes General Contractors to Unpaid Liability for Unpaid Subcontractor Wages”, Summer 2018.
- Author, Virginia State Bar Construction Law and Public Contracts Section Newsletter, “How Solid is the Penal Sum of Your Bond in Virginia?”2015-2018: Repr, Spring 2018 (Issue. No. 72).
- Speaker, National Utility Contractors Association of Pennsylvania: “Project Management Fundamentals, Leadership Seminar, Best Legal Practices to Keep Jobs Profitable”, February 9, 2017.
- Speaker, National Utility Contractors Association of the District of Columbia: “From the Trenches: How to Make a Profit and Protect Your Bottom Line”, September 13, 2017.
- 2018-2019: Obtained arbitration award in the amount of $4,624,596.11 (92% recovery) plus $1,617,704 in attorneys’ fees, costs, and expenses on behalf of national surety and prime contractor while also completely defeating the concrete subcontractor’s $2,527,232.98 claim in connection with a $52 million project in Miami, Florida.
- 2015-2018: Represented wastewater treatment plant prime contractor in actions in Maryland and Pennsylvania on projects in the range of $9 million and litigated actions involving payment disputes, faulty construction plans and specifications, and failure to achieve performance specifications.
- 2018: Represented modern art museum owner on $235 million project in disputes with prime contractor and subcontractor claims exceeding $11 million.
- 2017: Obtained preliminary injunction prohibiting erection of cellular antenna array on condominium development in Ocean City, Maryland and negotiated favorable settlement for client.
- 2017: Successfully defended a national defense contractor facility owner from over $700,000 in potential subcontractor mechanics’ lien claims arising from the bankruptcy of a general contractor and avoided potential double payment to subcontractors.
- 2017: Litigated mechanics’ lien action exceeding $200,000 on behalf of prime contractor in Fairfax County, Virginia and recovered nearly 90% of outstanding claim.
- 2017: Obtained full payment on behalf of material supplier through filing of mechanic’s lien in Fairfax County, Virginia.
- 2017: Represented national surety company in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Columbia in effort to disgorge interim compensation payments to trustee and to re-allocate payments to surety on pro-rata basis.
- 2017: Obtained 100% judgment in favor of home remodeling company at trial in Maryland state court from lawsuit by project owner alleging breach of contract for non-conforming work
- 2015-2017: Represented wastewater treatment plant prime contractor in actions in Maryland and Pennsylvania on projects in the range of $9 million and litigated actions involving payment disputes, faulty construction plans and specifications, and failure to achieve performance specifications.
- 2015-2017: Litigated state-court action and subsequent non-dischargeability action in bankruptcy court against recipient of business loan and obtained favorable settlement for client that includes a consent non-dischargeability judgment in the event of default on settlement terms.
- 2016: Obtained 90% exoneration at trial for underground contractor defendant against payment suit from subcontractor in Harford County, Maryland.
- 2016: Counseled international contractor regarding the use of project labor agreements on public-private-partnership project involving construction of Virginia toll roads.
- 2015-2016: Examined witnesses, conducted and defended depositions, and planned strategy as second chair in arbitration concerning scope of work valued at over $7.5 million between earthwork subcontractor, surety, and general contractor involving construction of high school in Loudoun County, Virginia.
Areas of Practice
- Washington & Lee University School of Law, J.D., 2009
- Washington & Lee University, B.A., Politics and European History, 2003
- New York
- District of Columbia
- United States District & Bankruptcy Courts for the Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District & Bankruptcy Courts for the Western District of Virginia
- United States District & Bankruptcy Courts for the District of Maryland
- United States District & Bankruptcy Courts for the District of Columbia
- United States Court of Federal Claims