John F. Finnegan III
Associate | McLean, VA
John F. Finnegan III is an associate at Watt Tieder’s McLean, Virginia office, focusing his practice on construction and commercial litigation, government contracts, and suretyship law. John is an experienced litigator who has obtained successful outcomes for his clients through negotiation, motion practice, and trial.
Since joining Watt Tieder, John has represented a range of stakeholders in the construction industry, including contractors and sureties, in federal and state court as well as before administrative boards. Significantly, John has gained successful trial experience through his representation of clients at multiple trials before the Armed Services Board of Contract Appeals.
Previously, John practiced at a New Jersey-based law firm, where he litigated commercial and employment disputes, represented higher education institutions in various litigation and transactional matters, and conducted internal investigations. John also served consecutive clerkships for: (i) the Hon. Michael A. Hammer, U.S. Magistrate Judge, District of New Jersey; and (ii) the Hon. Dorothea O’C. Wefing, Acting Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
John graduated cum laude from Seton Hall University School of Law, where he was, among other distinctions, an editor of the Seton Hall Law Review, completed an externship at the U.S. Attorney’s Office, District of New Jersey, and clerked in the legal department at Valley National Bank.
- The Hon. Michael A. Hammer, U.S. Magistrate Judge, District of New Jersey, 2012-13
- The Hon. Dorothea O’C. Wefing, Acting Associate Justice of Supreme Court of New Jersey, 2011-12
- Author: “KISS: Keep It Simple, SBA — Unifying the SBA’s Mentor-Protégé Programs,” Watt Tieder Newsletter, Fall 2018.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Government Contracts
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2011
- Editor, Seton Hall Law Review
- Co-Founder and Managing Editor, The Cross Examiner
- Boston College, B.A., International Studies, cum laude, 2007
- Hon. Michael A. Hammer, U.S. Magistrate Judge, District of New Jersey
- Hon. Dorothea O’C. Wefing, Acting Associate Justice of the Supreme Court of New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New York
- United States Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- United States District Court, Western District of Virginia
- United States District Court, District of New Jersey