Joel B. Daniel
Associate | Chicago, IL
Joel Daniel is an attorney in Watt Tieder’s Chicago office, licensed in Illinois and Texas. He concentrates his national practice in the areas of construction law, complex commercial litigation, suretyship and insurance coverage.
Joel has represented all manner of construction industry clients including owners/developers, architects, structural and professional engineers, design-builders, contractors, specialty subcontractors, systems integrators and suppliers. He has extensive experience in contract drafting and negotiation, as well as resolving disputes though pre-suit negotiation, and, when necessary, through litigation, arbitration, mediation and other alternative dispute resolution methods.
Joel provides a full range of transactional and litigation services to his clients, advising them on contract preparation, administration and termination, payment disputes, mechanics liens and surety claims and defenses. The firm and its clients benefit from Joel’s legal acumen and deep knowledge of legal and practical issues surrounding defective design, delay and disruption, geotechnical and forensic investigation, differing site conditions, wrongful termination, contract interpretation, risk allocation, surety bonds, mechanics liens and insurance coverage. In representing his construction industry clients at trial, arbitration and mediation, Joel has achieved client victories in high-stakes disputes involving claims exceeding $100,000,000.00. He has also handled a variety of complex commercial litigation matters in trial and appellate courts, including claims involving insurance coverage, contract interpretation, land use, common law fraud, deceptive business practices, partnership disputes, economic torts, creditors’ rights, and employment matters.
- Illinois Bar Association
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America: 2021 (Insurance Law), 2022 (Insurance Law) and 2023 (Litigation – Construction; Insurance Law)
- 1541 North Bosworth Condominium Association v. Hanna Architects, Inc., 2021 IL App (1st) 200594, 196 N.E.3d 1108, appeal denied, 187 N.E.3d 704 (Ill. 2022)
- Harleysville Ins. Co. v. Mohr Architecture, Inc., 2021 IL App (1st) 192427, 198 N.E.3d 1038
- Ritacca Laser Ctr. v. Brydges, 2018 IL App (2d) 160989, 100 N.E.3d 569
- GK Dev., Inc. v. Iowa Malls Fin. Corp., 2016 IL App (1st) 151584-U
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- The University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 2013
Dallas Baptist University, B.A., 2009
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois