Marguerite Lee DeVoll is an associate in Watt Tieder’s Creditors’ Rights, Bankruptcy and Insolvency Practice. Marguerite’s practice focuses on business restructurings, bankruptcy, and creditors’ rights, as well as complex commercial disputes in state and federal courts across the United States. She has handled complex chapter 11 cases and out-of-court workouts involving a variety of industries, including real estate, hospitality and services, education, and construction. She has represented creditors in corporate and individual chapter 7, 11, and 13 cases.
In addition, Marguerite frequently represents commercial landlords and national retail tenants in commercial real property and bankruptcy litigation, sureties, and creditors who must protect their rights in connection with construction and other types of real estate related loans and other types of obligations that are either in default or at risk of default. She also has significant experience defending fraudulent transfer and preference actions.
Marguerite served as a law clerk for the Honorable William R. Sawyer of the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Middle District of Alabama from 2010-2012. During law school, she also served as Editor-in-Chief of the Emory Bankruptcy Developments Journal.
- General Information
- Emory School of Law, J.D.
- Editor-in-Chief, Emory Bankruptcy Developments Journal
- University of Virginia, B.A., with distinction
- Emory School of Law, J.D.
- Supreme Court of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Southern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Middle District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Maryland
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court, Maryland
- Bankruptcy Bar Association for the District of Maryland, Director-at-Large
- International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, Membership Committee Co-Chair for the Greater Maryland Network
- Northern Virginia Bankruptcy Bar Association
- Walter Chandler American Inn of Court
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Member of Bankruptcy Law Section, Construction Law Section, Litigation Law Section, and State & Local Government Section, Veterans’ Affairs and Military Law Section
- American Bar Association
- Military Spouse JD Network
- Panelist, “Recent Developments in Discharge and Dischargeability Actions,” presented by the Bankruptcy Bar Association for the District of Maryland, March 13, 2019
- Panelist, “Issues in Retail Bankruptcies,” presented by the Walter Chandler American Inn of Court, January 16, 2019
- Author: “Maryland Construction Law Update: New Law Increases Liability for General Contractors for Subcontractors’ Failure to Pay Employees,” Watt Tieder Newsletter, Fall 2018
- Author: “Do I Really Have to Give the Money Back? Preference Claims in Construction Bankruptcy Cases,” Watt Tieder Newsletter, Spring 2018
- Panelist, “Recent Case and Rule Developments in Business Bankruptcy Cases,” presented by Bankruptcy Bar Association for the District of Maryland, 22nd Annual Spring Break Weekend, May 5, 2018
- Panelist, “From the Surety’s Perspective: When a Contractor Hits the Zone of Insolvency or Files for Bankruptcy,” presented by the Northern Virginia Bankruptcy Bar Association, April 10, 2018
- Panelist, “Recent Developments in Section 363 Sales,” presented by the Bankruptcy Bar Association for the District of Maryland, November 14, 2017
- Author: “Filing a Proof of Claim in a Bankruptcy Case: Rules Update and Other Tips That Every Potential Creditor Needs to Know,” Watt Tieder Newsletter, Fall 2017
- Author: “Don’t Wait Until It’s Too Late: Start Thinking About the Security Interest Clauses in Your Contracts,” Watt Tieder Newsletter, Summer 2017
- Co-Author of materials for “Ethical Issues in Business and Consumer Bankruptcy Cases,” presented by Bankruptcy Bar Assocation for the District of Maryland, 21st Annual Spring Break Weekend, May 6, 2017.
- Author, “Developments with UCC Financing Statements Lapsing Post-Petition”, XXXVI ABI Journal 3, 30-31, 78-79, March 2017
- Co-Author of materials for “The Automatic Stay and Intellectual Property Litigation Issues”, presented by Walter Chandler American Inn of Court, Panelist, March , 2016.
- Student Comment, “Neither ‘Free’ nor ‘Clear”: The Real Costs of In re PW, LLC: A Look at § 363(f)(3) and How to Protect Creditors” 26 Emory Bank. Dev. J. 1, 167 (2010)