CharCretia Di Bartolo
Partner | Boston, MA
CharCretia Di Bartolo is an experienced commercial litigator who focuses her practice in the areas of fidelity, surety and construction.
CharCretia represents sureties in all aspects of contract and commercial surety matters, including claims and litigation involving payment, performance, probate, motor vehicle dealer, injunction and other miscellaneous bonds. She assists in claim investigations and provides advice and opinions regarding financial institution bond and commercial crime coverages and represents fidelity insurers in coverage litigation. She regularly writes articles and presents on fidelity and surety issues.
CharCretia also represents insurers and their insureds in various personal injury matters, including litigation involving amusements and motor vehicle accidents and claims for wrongful death and negligence. She represents employers in employment litigation, including claims of wrongful termination and sexual harassment. She has handled employment claims involving alleged sex, race, disability, age and national origin discrimination.
CharCretia has trial and motion practice experience in both the federal and state courts in Massachusetts and Rhode Island as well as arbitration and mediation experience in both jurisdictions. She has also represented clients before state and federal administrative agencies, such as the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination and the Rhode Island Commission for Human Rights.
Holds the AV® Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell, its highest rating for ethics and legal ability
- American Bar Association
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- National Association of Women Lawyers
- “A Primer On Insurance Coverage For the Surety Professional, Session Eight: Owner’s Protective Professional Indemnity Coverage,” ABA Fidelity and Surety Law Committee, Midwinter Meeting, Washington, C., January 2017.
- “Too Broad, Too Expensive , Too Bad: Discovery of Other Insureds’ Claims Files and Other Claims Handling Practices,” ABA Fidelity and Surety Law Committee, Midwinter Meeting, New York, New York, January 2015.
- “Expansion and Contraction of the Employee Dishonesty Provision – The Sky’s The Limit?”, ABA Fidelity and Surety Law Committee, Midwinter Meeting, New York, New York, January 2014.
- “The Reasonable Insured Has Left the Building: Executive Risk Indemnity Inc. Pepper Hamilton,”Hinshaw & Culbertson’s 2009 Insurance Services Symposium, Chicago, Illinois, October 2009.
- “Discovery, Late Notice and Late Proof of Loss: The Reasonable Person in the Age of Enron, the Internet and 24-hour News Coverage,” ABA Tort Trial & Insurance Section Fall Meeting, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, October 2009.
- “Misrepresentation or Concealment in the Application Process,” at the Surety Claims Institute 33rd Annual Meeting, Hot Springs, Virginia, June 2008.
- “General Agreements (A) and (C) and (E) and (F),” Financial Institution Bonds, 4th Ed. (ABA Fall 2016).
- “Definitions,” Annotated Commercial Crime Policy, 3rd ed. (ABA Fall 2015).
- “The Impact of Attorney Negligence and Bad Acts on the Probate Bond Surety,” The Law of Probate Bonds, ed. (2014).
- “Definitions,” Annotated Financial Institution Bond, 3rd ed. (2014).
- “New York State Appellate Court Affirms Trial Court Summary Judgment In Favor of Insured On Direct Loss Issue But Remands For Further Findings Regarding Whether Rogue Trader Was An Employee of Insured,” ABA Fidelity and Surety Law Committee Newsletter, Fall 2014.
- “Indirect Lending: It’s Not Personal, Its Just Business,” XIX Fid. Law. J. 53 (Nov. 2013).
- “The Surety Underwriter’s Desk Book,” contributing author, Chapter 41 (Rhode Island), ABA Fidelity and Surety Law Committee, 2013.
- “Who’s the Boss? The Impact of Professional Employer Organizations on Fidelity Coverage,” VIII Fid. J. 75 2002.
- “Rescission of Commercial Crime Policies: Turning Back the Clock on Coverage,” Commercial Crime Policy, Marmor and Tomaine, 2nd edition, 2005.
Areas of Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Insurance Coverage
- Washington University School of Law, 1991
- Executive Editor of Recent Developments, Journal of Urban & Contemporary Law
- Washington University, B.A., 1988
- Rhode Island
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island