Keith Phillips’s practice focuses on the representation of sureties and construction and government contractors. His experience includes the preparation, review and negotiation of contract documents, the provision of advice concerning contract administration and compliance with appropriate acquisition regulations, and the preparation, evaluation, negotiation and litigation of claims. He represents owners, contractors, sureties, architects, engineers and subcontractors on a wide variety of construction and commercial projects throughout the United States and internationally, including nuclear, conventional co-generation, alternative fuel and hydroelectric power plants, oil refineries, industrial plants, water and wastewater treatment facilities, laboratories, prisons, and office buildings. Keith has represented clients in a number of state and federal courts, before boards of contract appeals and other administrative boards and in arbitrations and mediations, domestically and internationally.
Prior to joining Watt, Tieder, Hoffar & Fitzgerald in 1993, he served as a commissioned officer in the United States Navy. He completed Navy nuclear power school and submarine training before serving onboard nuclear submarines. His duties included supervising the operation and maintenance of the ship’s nuclear power plant and related power generation and propulsion equipment. He also served as an acquisition engineer, responsible for research and development projects, procurement and life-cycle support for Navy communications equipment.
Keith just recently has been selected to serve as the Jurisdictional Council Member for the United States on the Inter-Pacific Bar Association. Keith previously served as the Chairman of the International Construction Projects Committee.
- General Information
- George Washington University Law School, J.D., 1993, with honors
- U.S. Naval Academy, B.S., 1983, with merit, Marine Engineering
- College of Law of England and Wales, International Practice Diploma in International Arbitration Law, 2006
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 11th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- Memberships & Affiliations
- American Bar Association
- Forum on the Construction Industry
- Public Contract Law Section
- Tort, Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- International Bar Association
- International Construction Projects Committee
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association
- Jurisdictional Counsel Member for the United States
- Former Chair, International Construction Projects Committee
- Dispute Resolution and Arbitration Committee
- Florida State Bar
- International Law Section
- Virginia Bar Association
- Construction and Public Contracts Law Section
- American Bar Association
- Publications and Presentations
- Author: “Unilateral Arbitration Clauses: What are They And Can They Be Enforced?” Watt Tieder Newsletter, Spring 2016
- Author: “Arbitrators Reign Supreme,” From the Ground Up, Spring 2014
- Speaker: “Use and Abuse of Multi-Tiered Dispute Resolution Processes,” International Bar Association Convention, Boston, Massachusetts, October 2013
- Speaker/Panelist: “The Top Five Most Negotiated Clauses in Construction Contracts — The Devil is in Detail,” 5th Biennial Construction Projects from Conception to Completion Conference, Brussels, Belgium September 2013
- Moderator: “The Use (and Mis-Use) of Experts in International Construction Disputes,” Inter-Pacific Bar Association Annual Convention, Seoul, Korea, April 2013.
- Speaker: “How to Perform a U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Construction Contract Without Making It Your Company’s Last,” Federal Procurement Institute Construction Luncheon, Annapolis, Maryland, March 2012.
- Speaker/Moderator: “Innovations in Construction Contracting,” Inter-Pacific Bar Association Annual Convention, Kyoto, Japan, April 2011.
- Speaker: “Cross-Border Liability for Environmental Disaster and Personal Injury: Mock Scenario and Discussion,” Inter-Pacific Bar Association Annual Convention, Singapore, May 2010.
- Speaker: “Nuclear Power Projects,” International Bar Association Convention, Madrid, Spain, October 2009.
- Speaker: “The Demand for Oil: Impacts and Challenges for the Construction Industry,” Inter-Pacific Bar Association Annual Convention, Manila, The Philippines, May 2009.
- Panelist/Speaker: “Limitation of Liability Clauses in Construction Contracts, a United States Prospective,” International Bar Association Convention, Singapore, October 2007.
- Panelist: “How the EPC Contractor Can Lower Its Risk and Increase Its Reward on Power Plant Projects,” Forbes Global Energy Conference, London, England, November 2002.
- Panelist: “Duties of Geotechnical Engineer to the Construction Owner and Contractor Under Common Law, XVth International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Istanbul, Turkey, August 2001.
- Author: “Arbitration or Litigation,” From the Ground Up, Spring 1999.