For over 17 years, David Johnson has honed his skills to provide timely counsel and litigation, dispute resolution, negotiation, and drafting services for clients in an ever-changing market. Through his practice focus on commercial litigation, construction contract disputes, surety and lending law, David represents owners, sureties, general contractors, subcontractors, and loan servicers in federal and state court actions throughout Nevada and California.
In addition to standard surety matters (performance and payment bond claims, takeover and completion agreements, and indemnity actions) David has handled client matters for a wide range of projects, including entertainment facilities, commercial buildings, resorts/hotels, private residences, roads, subdivisions, schools, sewers, water treatment facilities, and offsite improvements among others. His more unique project experience has involved a Cirque du Soleil venue and the famous Grand Canyon Skywalk-a transparent horseshoe-shaped cantilever bridge and tourist attraction on the Canyon’s west rim.
David’s recent and ongoing matters include:
- Representing sureties in multiple pending actions and obtaining multi-million dollar judgments against the indemnitors.
- Handling all license, payment and performance bond disputes for a multi-state project and bond principal default.
- Representing a contractor seeking payment for work performed, a hotel owner in a construction defect claim, developer/borrowers in litigation and work-outs with lenders.
- Representing sureties and contractors in complex mechanics lien disputes, including priority disputes, with construction lenders.
In addition to his active practice, David regularly writes for journals, books and other publications serving the surety and construction industries.
- General Information
- University of San Diego, J.D., 1994, cum laude
- University of California, San Diego, B.A., 1990, with honors
- U.S. District Court for the State of Nevada
- All U.S. District Courts for the State of California
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- Memberships & Affiliations
- Nevada Bar Association
- Clark County
- California Bar Association
- San Diego County
- ABA-TIPS Construction Section
- Nevada Bar Association
- Publications and Presentations
- Co-Author: “Las Vegas Is Coming Back! Some Recent Construction-Related Opinions From the Nevada Supreme Court,” Watt Tieder Newsletter, Spring 2014 .
- Author: Surety Underwriter’s Desk Book , Nevada Chapter, American Bar Association, Forthcoming January 2013. Update 2014.
- Author: “State-By-State Guide to Architect, Engineer and Contractor Licensing,” Aspen Publishing, Updates 2009-2011; Revised Chapter for Nevada, 2012. Update – 2013 and 2014.
- Author: “The Nevada Supreme Court Expands the Potential Liability of Sureties Doing Business in the State,” From the Ground Up, Spring 2004.
- Author: “12 Days Late and $1 Million Short — the California Court of Appeal Brings Uncertainty to Claims Against Architects and Construction Managers,” From the Ground Up, Summer 2001.